Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Hats And Ky Derby

                              
Everyone knows about the Ky Derby. As a child my parents use to watch it on Tv every year. This past weekend was the 139th year of the Derby races.

Last year the Queen of  England was even here for this famous race.
 I would have never dreamed in my wildest dreams that I would one day be living in Ky.
I moved from the La/Ms Area to the Northwest in 1990 and lived there for 17yrs.
In 2007 we moved to Ky, as I was trying to move closer to my Mom in Ms when she was in bad health, and this is the closest we could find for my husbands type of job.

I have yet to go to the derby, because I don't like that huge of a crowd, but I do watch it on Tv and I bet a couple of times.
I seem to have a knack for picking the right horses during the show times. I'm sure if I had the money to place a huge bet, I would loose.

One of the events prior to the Derby is a hat contest. 

The women have gorgeous, unusual, and wild looking hats to wear. I'm not sure what the winner receives, besides having their picture shown in their winning hat.
I wanted to decorate some hats and try to sell before the Derby, but as yet haven't been able to do it in time and I'm not sure where to sell.

I am a hat lover, and I grab hats for myself when I get the chance. 
I would love to take the time later and try my hand at decorating them.
I did decorate a few hats and was hoping to have more to sell, but life interrupted me.  The hats I decorated are no where close to the ones they wear at the Derby.


Here are a few of the hats being shown at the Kentucky Derby.. Some are WILD looking, and there are a  few I would like to have, or try to decorate to match my favorite..

                                             I really like this one but it's too big for daily wear
                                            Too "Out There" for me, but I adore the feathers
                                                Ummm NO NO And NO

These are a few hats the stars wore for the Derby
                                            


                     Here are a few of my hats in my Etsy shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/Ginascornercrafts
           Mine aren't as elaborate as the one's in the Derby, but these are my favorites. I am a work in progress with the hats, and I will be putting more in my shop later.






14 comments:

  1. Love seeing all the hats at the Kentucky Derby. Like the ones you pictured, some are pretty elaborate! Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the first big hat you posted but I can't say I'd ever wear that. I don't wear much for hats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the hats! I was a horse fanatic growing up, so I've always been a fan of the derby :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite part of watching the derby is gawking at the hats! what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't wear hats, but if I did, I would wear the biggest most obnoxious hat ever. One that looked like a peacock got attacked by a bouquet of flowers. Fun article :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun post! I loved seeing all the crazy over the top hats :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never knew about the hat thing at the Derby! Pretty fun...like the funky yellow hat and your red one! must have a penchant for bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the last hat you made. Really modern looking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your post. I went to a Tea this morning and it was requested for everyone to wear hats. It was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the link to your blog - left by you on my Etsy convo site. Love your hats - much more practical than the Derby ones, but the ones in the English Derby are just as whacky sometimes - except that they are worn in the summer, and would have thought Ky at this time of year could still be a little chilly,windy and prone to rain. Mind you the way the weather is going in the UK this year, it could be all of that too. I mean, they're forecasting snow for us this week - it should be May flowers! Instead, even the fruit trees are struggling to come out!

    Sorry you couldn't fine anyway to be a Friend (it should be on the right side of the blog www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com) under the Google Connect sign, or via Google+ and Blog Lovin.

    Hope you'll visit again sometime, and become a Follower.

    ReplyDelete