Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Process Of Doing What I Love

This is what I enjoy doing the most. Making my flowers from pencil shavings.
It really is not an easy process. It takes a lot of effort and concentration through the whole process.
When I  pick up the pencil and start sharpening, I have to keep it curling. Sometimes it seems the pencil or either the sharpener doesn't want to be obedient. In fact I think they are talking to each other some days, just to give me a hard time.
When I DO finally get them to work together, some days I can only make a few at a time.

After I have my "little curls", I then take them to my craft room where I have glued beads on stems.
I take my flower curl, place it around the bead, and try to form them into a bigger flower. I mix the curls together and make more than once color of flower.

Now comes the hard part. The Gluing! I hot glue the bud on the stem, and I try to take both colors and glue them as I twirl the curls.
Some days they all come together wonderfully, and  I have no problems. They seem to want to work with me to make a beautiful flower.
Other days, it seems when I touch them after I have glued, they want to just tear into pieces.
These are the days I swear the hot glue gun has conspired with the pencils and the sharpener.
After I finally get them glued, I  let them dry and I dip them into a mixture to make them hard.

After they have dried I wrap the floral tape, and affix leaves as I wrap.
Here we go again..I wrap and wrap and the leaves fall out of the floral tape.
I re wrap.. No, those leaves don't look good, so I take the leaves out, find some I think looks better with that certain flower, and start over.
Finally! They are now ready to be sprayed. The spray causes them to have a shine, and they are even more sturdy.

With all this work I wonder why more of my flowers aren't selling?
I did great with them in Flea Markets, Craft Shows and Stores.
I think maybe it's because others really can't see how beautiful they look in person, how sturdy they really are, and how they brighten what ever they are around.

When I lived in the Northwest and first started making my flowers, I wanted to test them to see how long they would last in different environments.
I placed some out on my patio in the coldest part of the Winter, when there was snow on the ground.
I was pleasantly surprised with the results!  They held up. The colors were still vibrant, and they were still as sturdy as when I made them.
I don't think others will be leaving them outside in the Winter, but if they decide to they will still be just as strong.

7 comments:

  1. Very pretty. I was wondering if you did something to them to keep them from falling apart as pencil shavings often do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the process! What a great idea to test your work in extreme conditions. Keep at it and the sales will come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flowers are so pretty and definitely take a tremendous amount of patience to create. I enjoyed reading how you make them and know you will have many sales!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful. Wow, so many steps to make them. Keep on creating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's true - I think that it's hard to see how beautiful they are in a photo. I mean, they are GORGEOUS, but I imagine that seeing them in person they're even more exquisite. There's also something to be said about picking up a piece and actually feeling its texture and weight. Keep up the wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the insight to your process!

    ReplyDelete