Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Look Around

Seems like Fall doesn't last very long, especially when cold weather starts coming in.
It's already 2wks into Autumn, and the cold weather is ready to "strut it's stuff"
 I had to take my plants inside today, because it's suppose to get into the 30's tonight. Can we say Brrrrr?

I'm not a cold weather person, since I was raised in the "Deep South". 

I had to get use to the Northwest cold and snow when I moved to Idaho and Oregon.
Actualy, I never did really get use to it.. I just adapted, but I love the mountains so much, that I, a "Southern Gal", raised where the heat is the main item of the day, wanted to be in the cold just for the beauty.
During that time I seem to have obtained a "Fetish" with coats though. 
I can't seem to get enough coats!
I guess it's because when I was in the Northwest, at one time, I was living in a tent in the Winter.. Yeah!
I had never been so cold in all my life.. Hence the coat fetish. I counted them last Winter, and I had over 40 coats.
Every Winter, I gather some up and give to the homeless..
Which brings me to my subject.

I may think I had it bad in the Winter, but there are people, with children living on the streets.. No coats, no warm shoes.. It breaks my heart to think of people living like that.
I then remember my many blessings.. Me with 40 coats, how could I NOT give?
So, every Winter I gather them up and try to pick out the one's I can seem to part with..
And, yes, every spring I seem to collect more!
"Is this a sickness"? LOL

Anyway,  I want to encourage you, if you have an abundance of something, please look around and see those who don't. 

Regardless of their circumstances, whether they put themselves in that situation or not, by the choices they made.. They still deserve to be warm, to have food, and good shoes.

The Salvation Army will take coats..Local churches are another good place to take them to. A lot of them have coat drives.
When we first moved here to where we live now, my husband and I just gathered some up, and took them to the homeless shelter.

 Another thing close to my heart is the Angel Tree. Around Christmas, churches and other donation places, put up a tree with children's names on it. 
You pick a name, and the child has made a list of things they need or want. You can choose what you are able to get them. 
 Take the gifts to the Angel Tree locations, and they will distribute them out at Christmas.

The nursing homes have poor aged adults, that have no one to give to them at Christmas, or even to visit with them.
 You can go to the Dollar Store and get them things they need, like socks, brushes, and lotions.. And, if you  have time, just visit and let them know someone cares. 
We will all be there one day ourselves.

Another thing my husband is doing for the homeless is getting backpacks from Yard Sales in the Summer, then filling them with tooth brushes, soaps, washcloths, deodorant etc.. We also go to the Dollar Store and get these things, so it doesn't cost much.
I know there are a lot of people that need help in other areas also.
I wish I would, and could, do more than I am doing, but we can do what we can, with what we have.
So, this Holiday Season.. Lets see who is in need, and reach out a helping hand.. Encourage others to do the same.

I have a shop on etsy Gina's Corner Crafts. 
Drop by and see what you can find for you or a loved one!
I have flowers I make from pencil shavings, vintage items, woodwork, and lots of eclectic crafts. 
I'm sure you can find something just for you. See you there!
Ginascornercrafts.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment